Thursday, April 30, 2009

Torture and U.S.


The Bush Administration took us down the road to torture in a fast car and now various people associated with the previous Administration are defending the speeding. Obama is backing us away from torture, or at the very least water boarding and attempting to steer the country back down the road to the moral high ground. These moves I applaud, but I do have some cognitive dissonance going on.

If my son, best friend, my best friends wife or child were being held hostage or in some way had their life threatened and I had a person with knowledge that I thought could save my best friends life, torture would be an option for me. There would be no hesitation on my part. It's like the me being against the death penalty, unless the person killed my mom.

Theoretically policy should not be made by the people who have a personal stake in the outcome, a classic conflict of interest. But the reality is I'm against torture in general, but if they were holding my mom, I'd break out a blowtorch.

No comments: